MINUTES OF FRANKLIN SELECTBOARD

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2008 AT 7:00 P. M.

FRANKLIN CENTRAL SCHOOL

 

 

PRESENT:   Peter Kittell, Jamie Boudreau, Scott Choinere, Wayne Fiske, Lynn Paradis and Lisa Larivee, Franklin Town Clerk.

 

     Peter called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m.

 

TOWN CLERK’S CONCERNS:

 

     Water Shed Grant:   Lisa advised that she has the $1,000 to be given to the Water Shed Committee.  Peter will check with them one more time.  Funds will be used to build a bridge on the Class IV road that is used as a snowmobile trail.

 

     Certificate of Highway Mileage: Lisa advised that this document is in the Selectboard folder and has to be signed by the Board.

 

     Sidewalk Grant: Lisa questioned if anyone had contacted Jim Smith.  Wayne advised that he has not done so as he was waiting for further information before doing so.

 

     Oil  - Town Garage: At Peter’s request, Lisa looked up the heating oil used for the garage over the past three years - 05-06 756 gallons; 06-07 612 gallons; and, 07-08 666 gallons to date.  It was noted that there has not been much difference over the past three years.  Lisa advised that she spoke with Susan at Efficiency Vermont regarding the moisture problems in the Haston Library and Town Garage.  She informed Lisa that she deals mainly with light fixtures, but she will speak to someone who handles moisture issues and arrange for them to come up to look at the problems.

 

     Overtime: Lisa provided the Board with a time sheet showing 13 ½ hours of overtime.  She stated this was mostly incurred preparing the Town Report.

 

LIQUOR CONTROL BOARD:

 

     Motion made by Scott/Jamie to exit the regular Selectboard Meeting and enter a Liquor Control meeting.  All members voted in favor/liquor control meeting opened at 7:08 p.m.  Peter advised that we have two applications to consider - one for the Franklin General Store and one for Byam’s Quick Stop.  Lisa advised the only change in the applications is that the Byams no longer live in Franklin.  They checked, however, and learned that as long as they own the property and pay property taxes, they are eligible for a liquor license.

 

     Motion by Wayne/Jamie to approve both applications.  Peter asked for any discussion and there was none.  All members voted in favor/motion passed.  Selectboard members signed the applications.

 

     Motion by Scott/Jamie to return to the regular Selectboard meeting.  All members voted in favor.  Regular meeting resumed at 7:15 p.m.

 

BILLS AND ORDERS:

 

     Reviewed and signed.

 

TOWN WEBSITE:

 

     Scott informed Lisa that he has the software available to convert documents, permits, forms, etc., that she may want to make available to the community through the Town Website into PDF format.  She just needs to send them to him and he will convert them.

 

MINUTES OF JANUARY MEETINGS:

 

     Motion by Scott/Wayne to approve the minutes of the January 14, 2008 meeting.  Peter asked for any discussion or changes and there was none.  All members voted in favor/minutes approved as presented.

 

     Motion by Scott/Lynn to approve the January 24, 2008 budget meeting minutes.  Peter asked for any discussion or changes and there was none.  All members voted in favor/minutes approved as presented.

 

NEW BUSINESS:

 

     Highway Mileage Report: Peter advised that every year we have to verify the number of miles of road in the Town of Franklin.  Motion to approve by Scott/Lynn.  All members voted in favor/motion passed.  Report signed.

 

     Town Hall Fire Prevention Policy: With the preservation of the historical town hall curtain, we must adopt a fire prevention policy for the Town Hall.  Lisa provided members with documents which they will laminate and post in the Town Hall.  She noted there is also a problem with a light bulb that is close to the curtain.  They cannot be within three feet of the curtain.  She stated she will replace it with a new cool burning energy efficient bulb.  It was noted there are also new fire prevention rules to be followed by persons using the Town Hall.  Motion by Scott/Lynn to approve the Franklin Town Hall Fire Prevention Policy.  All members voted in favor/motion passed.

 

     Truck Box: Problems being experienced with the box on the older of the trucks were discussed.  Wayne advised that a new box would cost about $32,000.  Peter explained to members the problems with the box and the causes for them.  Scott noted that we might want to think about replacing the truck rather than put this amount of money into a new box and then have to replace the truck. 

 

     Solid Waste: Scott advised that he spoke with Mike Ewell from the Northwest Solid Waste District and asked him to put together a short narrative for the Board.  Scott expected to have it for tonight’s meeting, but it did not come.  He outlined briefly for the Board his conversation with Mr. Ewell.  Swanton wants to rejoin the district and is putting a proposal before the voters.  Highgate will monitor their own solid waste plan with the assistance of a person from Casella.  That person might also be available to assist Franklin.  Scott stated he knows that Peter had a concern over the rates going up and Mr. Ewell pointed out that the rate had remained consistent for several years now.   There was also concern over whether or not we could leave  the district and that would be possible, however, if there were any bond/building issues entered into  while Franklin was a member of the district, we would then be responsible to finish paying for our share of them.  Scott noted that if we join, a person from Franklin would sit on the district board and would have a voice.  Scott noted that we do not have the staff nor expertise to run our own solid waste plan.  He pointed out that we can use the solid waste grant that the town clerk applied for to offset the cost to join the district and that would leave only a small amount for the town to pay and we already set aside that amount right now for solid waste.  Scott stated he sees no benefit from the town keeping their own solid waste management plan.  Scott asked how the other members of the Board felt on the issue and they all agreed that we should explore the possibility of joining the solid waste district.  It will be necessary to have a special meeting and put the matter to the voters for approval.  Scott agreed to put together a short presentation for Town Meeting which will start the process.

 

OLD BUSINESS:

 

     Weed Harvester Grant: Lynn advised that she has started to work on the grant application.  Lisa provided her with the folder with the information from previous years which will assist her.  Discussion was held on repairs and it was noted that repairs/parts for both the harvester and the tractor can be charged against this grant.  Peter will speak with Howard regarding this matter.  Lynn noted that the grant is due March 3rd and we will not meet again before the deadline.  The Board authorized Peter to sign the completed grant application. 

 

     Salt Shed: Donald Rainville entered the meeting.  He talked to the Board regarding the siding which is a different color than what the Board ordered.  He offered the Board two options - the first that he will remove the siding and replace it with the correct color siding.  The Board asked if the siding being removed could be reused and he stated that it probably could not.  The second option he offered the Board is to take $500 off the price of the job.  Wayne asked how the mistake happened and Mr. Rainville responded that it was his error.  When he went to order the siding, his file with the information had been filed away at the supplier’s business.  He looked at the samples and picked what he thought was the correct color and it was not.  Jamie questioned why he went ahead with the job when he realized the siding was the wrong color.  He stated he probably should have come to the Board, but the siding was ordered in different lengths to reduce waste and probably could not have been used on another job.  Concern was expressed that there may be some negative feedback from the community.  After discussion, the Board decided to accept Mr. Rainville’s offer to reduce his price by $500.  If, however, there should be a lot of negative community reaction, the siding will be replaced by Mr. Rainville and the town will pay him the $500 at that time.  Peter asked if Mr. Rainville has completed all his work and he stated he has.  The Board thanked him and he exited the meeting. 

 

     Discussion was held on the overhead door for the shed and Wayne noted that the Highway crew thought they could do the work themselves.  If they cannot, there is someone who installs overhead doors who is willing to do the work.

 

ZONING AMENDMENTS:

 

     Discussion was held on the amendments that need to be included in our zoning ordinance to ensure that we have some oversight on installation of septic systems.  It was noted that development was limited in the last few years, but there are now several sites in the town which may be developed in the near future.

 

OVERTIME:

 

     After discussion, the Board authorized payment of overtime to the Town Clerk.  It was noted this is a one time approval and should she be re-elected at Town Meeting then she will be salaried.

 

SELECTBOARD FOLDER:

 

     Correspondence: From State of Vermont advising that when applying for road grants we will now be required to replace and upgrade all signs to the new brighter road signs.  The State will pay for the new signs in addition to paying the labor costs for installation. 

 

     Legislative Report: Members receive individual copies.

 

     Correspondence: From Vermont Citizens for Justice.  They are asking that we post their pamphlet outlining their goals with regard to education taxes.  Posting will be done in the town clerk’s office.

 

     Correspondence: Regarding increase in fees.  It was noted that our 911 calls will no longer go through Williston, but will be through St. Albans dispatch.  Cost is $5.20 per person.

 

     Newsletter: From Vermont League of Cities and Towns.

 

     Correspondence: From the Humane Society for dog control officer regarding cruelty to animals procedure.  Correspondence given to Jamie.

 

     Correspondence: From Economic Development Council of Northern Vermont asking if we have any new projects.  We have none.

 

     Correspondence: Funding request from Missisquoi River Basin Association.

 

     Pamphlet: From Vermont League of Cities and Towns.  Peter advised it is in the Selectboard Folder for members to read at their convenience.

 

MEMBER CONCERNS:

 

     Morses Line Road: Scott advised that he did not see the 35 mph sign just before you get to the village.

 

     Sand: Peter asked how the sand is holding up in light of the severe winter weather.  It was felt we currently have enough stockpiled.

 

     Plowing: Discussion held on plowing of school and sidewalks.

 

     Peter asked if members had anything further and they did not.  Motion by Scott/Jamie to adjourn.  All members in favor/motion passed.  Meeting adjourned at 8:55 p.m.

 

                                                                        Respectfully submitted,

 

 

February 12, 2008                                                                               Barbara M. Varin

NOTE: These minutes are not official until approved by the Selectboard at their next regular meeting which is presently scheduled for March 10, 2008.  These minutes were approved by the Selectboard at their March 17, 2008 meeting.

 

 

 

 

    

Home | Back