MINUTES OF FRANKLIN PLANNING COMMISSION

TUESDAY, JANUARY 15, 2008 AT 7:00 P. M.

FRANKLIN HOMESTEAD DINING ROOM

 

 

 

PRESENT: Dick Gadbois, David Lucey, Bill Mayo, Doug Clark, Dan Larivee, Jamie Boudreau and Doug Bradford.

 

     Dick called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m.

 

MINUTES OF NOVEMBER MEETING:

 

     Motion by David/Bill to approve the minutes.  Dick asked for comments or discussion and there were none.  All members voted in favor/motion passed.  Minutes approved as presented.

 

CORRESPONDENCE:

 

     Highgate Planning Commission: Dick shared with members correspondence from Highgate Planning Commission regarding their next meeting.  It was noted they have seven scheduled subdivision cases one of which involves a 34 unit subdivision.

 

     Town Plan: Hearing on January 30, 2008 at 5:30 p.m. at the Franklin Grand Isle Work Force Training Center.  Dick noted this is the next step in the approval procedure.

 

     Vermont Land Trust: Correspondence regarding property of Chris and Anne Wagner.

 

     Wastewater Management:   Correspondence indicates that Justin and Sara Rainville are subdividing to create a second lot.  Dick stated he is not sure exactly what they are doing the letter sounded as though it might be three lots and he will check into it.

 

     Wastewater Management: It appears that Jim and Mary Cameron are trying to covert two seasonal dwellings to year round dwellings.

 

MESSIER ROAD SUBDIVISION:

 

     Bill Mayo was to speak with the Zoning Administrator regarding what appears to be a three lot subdivision on the Messier Road.  Dick asked Bill to update members on what he was able to find out.  Bill advised that he spoke with Bob Irish who informed him that a one lot subdivision was submitted to him and he approved it.  That lot has been sold.    Bill noted that it appears that only one lot was subdivided to this point.  It is well within the authority of the ZA to approve a one lot subdivision.  Dick noted that the letter we received from ANR concerned an application for a three lot subdivision.  Members questioned why a property owner would go through the expense of septic and engineers for three lots and only subdivide one lot.  Dick will review the paperwork submitted to date and report back to members at the next meeting.  Doug Clark noted that a property owner can subdivide up to three lots over a period of five years without coming to the Planning Commission.  Dick reminded members that the septic permits issued by the State are site specific and you canít move them around once they are approved. 

 

MIDDLE ROAD SUBDIVISION:

 

    Bill discussed with members the possible three lot subdivision on the Howard Ward property on the Middle Road.  Bill advised that Sandy Murphy has an exclusive listing.  Septic perc tests have been done, but it has not yet been decided if individual lots will be sold or if it will be sold as one parcel.  Concern was expressed that we are getting into the same situation as we had with the LaRose subdivision where people are going to the state for permits without first going through our subdivision regulations. 

 

     Subdivisions and private roads were discussed.  Bill pointed out there was a recent problem on a private road where there was a very ill resident and the ambulance had trouble getting to them and out again because of inadequate roads.  The ill resident remains in intensive care so it may have been a life and death situation.   He pointed out that in the event of a fire, there is no way that a fire truck would be able to get there. 

 

     David questioned how we keep track of subdivisions to ensure they are in compliance with regulation.  Dick responded that permits have to be recorded in town records.

 

ELECTRICITY:

 

     Discussion was held on the wind farms going up in Clinton County in New York State and the value of hydro generated electricity. 

 

SEASONAL HOMES:

 

     Dick informed that he has the regulations from ANR on converting seasonal to year round homes and he will forward a copy to members.  Doug Clark asked about septic systems for these homes, if they have to have an adequate system.  Dick stated they do, but the property owner can complete an affidavit that they have a working septic system.  It was noted that some towns require pumping of systems and a bill or other proof has to be submitted to the town.

 

BUDGET:

 

     David asked Dick if the Planning Commissionís budget request has been approved.  Dick responded that to the best of his knowledge it has been.

 

 

ZA Training:

     Dick informed members there will be training on January 29, 2008.  He will forward all information to members.  He asked that anyone wishing to attend notify him.

 

ZONING ORDINANCE:

 

     Dick informed members that next meeting we will again look at the revisions to the zoning ordinance.

 

     Motion by David/Jamie to adjourn.  All members voted in favor/meeting adjourned at 8:00 p.m.

 

                                                                        Respectfully submitted,

 

 

January 16, 2008                                                                                 Barbara M. Varin

NOTE:   These minutes are not official until approved by the Planning Commission at their next meeting which is scheduled for February 19, 2008.

Home | Back