Franklin Selectboard Meeting

January 3, 2018 @ 6:00 pm
Franklin Town Clerk’s Office

 

Call to order

At 6:08 p.m. Peter M called the meeting to order. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.

PRESENT: Peter Magnant, Yvon Dandurand, Andy Godin, Brooks Sturtevant and Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk

GUESTS: Jean Richard, Michelle Guilmette, Auditors; Jordy Fraties; Jake Dandurand and Jeremy Barnum, Highway crew.

 

Agenda amendments:  None

 

Public comment period:  None

 

Approve minutes of December 20, 2017

Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to accept the Dec 20th minutes with the following changes: line 52-53 “concerns of the board have all been addressed in the proposed agreement.  The board has agreed to a 14 day review period with Franklin Telephone Co for any issues that arise at the park & ride.  Vote taken on the motion.  3-Aye, Andy abstained.  Motion carried. 

 

Highway department Budget:

·         Add one load of chloride to make budget 18,800

·         Gas/fuel leave at $18,000

·         Gravel increase to $30,000 due to cuts in the last few years and want to use more blue rock and keep the road bases up.

·         Blacktopping – Hanna Rd for 1 mile Shady Maple Lane to Highway line and Brown’s Corner Rd to Harvey Bushey.  Stanley Rd-apply for state grant funds.  Gallup Rd section.

·         Sealing on Swamp Rd

·         Michelle Guilmette asks about the overweight fees and if they can be increased due to the damage trucks cause on the roads, Ag vehicles need to pay as well.  These fees are set by the state, out of our control.

·         Salt/Sand – budget increased due to the need for more product and the price increase for salt.

·         Equipment fund increased to $15k to set aside for future purchases in FY20.  Pete reviewed the current payments for the two trucks that will be paid in FY20; would like to wait for payoffs to lessen the burden on taxpayers.

·         Discussed the need for a newer loader; our 1988 is getting tired and may leave us without a loader at some point.  Will discuss further at next meeting on Wed the 10th @ 7:00

Jeremy advised that Howard Vanselette and Eric Dandurand have voiced being extra drivers as needed.  Lisa will set them up as extra drivers.  Peter thanked Jeremy and Jake for their extra time working over the Christmas holiday.

 

AUDITORS:  discussion of the budget and * items that are explained in the narrative.  Discussed the school fiscal services change and how the Supervisory Union can take this over without voter approval.  Jean not in favor of this being taken out of town and losing local control.  Statutes need to be looked at for legality. 

·         The board feels two people are still needed in this office for town business and coverage of hours if someone is out.  Board discussed salaries and will increase both the clerk/treasurer and assistant by 2%.

·         Tax assessment-break out the Franklin County Court assessment as we have no control over this amount to its own line.  Rest of the assessments together with narrative breakdown.

·         Building maintenance discussed and will be noted in the narrative: paint office $2,000; $5,200 for town hall furnace room; $2,800 to paint East side of town hall; $800 for mowing of lawns.

 

Town Clerk's concerns:

·         LCCA 4th of July Celebration request to close Rte 120 at Lake Carmi.  Brooks S/Yvon D made a motion to authorize Peter M to sign the letter to VTrans approving the road closure.  All in favor, motion passed.

·         Reviewed warning for articles requesting money.

·         Northwest Regional Planning Commission letter of commitment for the grant funding for the highway storm water lot drainage.  Brooks S/Yvon D made the motion to approve and Peter M to sign letter.  All in favor, motion passed.

 

Review and sign bills

All SB members reviewed and signed the bills.

 

Old business

Park and Ride agreement – Peter will e-mail Kim about the status of the changes that were made.  Peter and Ed had spoken with Kim to review the changes that were made.

 

New business: 

·         Selectboard report-Peter reviewed the topics covered in his report

            -Town hall painting, electrical and furnace room updates to meet code.

            -TMDL and water quality and the State DEC work

            -Park and Ride agreement

            -town cemetery management needs for the future.

                                               

·         Road commissioner report-discussed the need to mention the possibility of a town quarry.

 

Selectboard folder:  None

 

Member concerns/other business

Andy- why were the sidewalks bids held and the bids so high?  The board felt there were several items noted in the bids that were not covered/done for the stated price; will look at further in the spring.    Need to look at getting the CPU replaced for the garage cameras that is no longer working. 

Yvon- question about the quarry; do we still want to pursue with Marc to negotiate a deal.  Peter feels we should continue to discuss it with him.  At the TAC meetings there is concern of a shortage of gravel and stone for surrounding town. 

 

Next meeting date is January 10, 2018 at 7:00 pm at the Town clerk’s office

 

Adjournment

At 9:08 pm Brooks S/Andy G made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Vote taken; all in Favor; motion carried.

 

These minutes are not official until approved at the next regular selectboard meeting.  These minutes were approved at the January 25, 2018 Selectboard meeting.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Lisa Larivee, Town Clerk

January 8, 2018