Franklin Recreation Meeting March 11, 2019
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Dawn Fournier, Paula Tremblay, Molly McGinty, Sara Rainville
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m..
● Stephanie brought handouts from the Regional Rec Meeting on February 13.
● Fundraising Ideas were discussed:
○ Maureen Sodaro knows a woman who would like to do a drumming fundraiser.
○ Mandi Gates suggested a Read-a-thon.
Molly shared about the following upcoming events:
● A Lego slowest car derby will be held on March 23.
● Reading to Carriage House residents at 1:00 p.m. on Fridays.
● The VT beekeepers association will be at the library at 10 a.m. on April 6.
● Summer Programming
○ Backpack theater on June 22. This will also be the kickoff for the summer reading program.
○ A grant to fund other programming has been applied for.
Rec Director Updates
Approve Meeting Minutes
Stacy motioned to approve the meeting minutes from February 27. Bridget seconded. The motion passed.
● Warrants were signed for:
○ Winter carnival supplies (Bridgette) $44.63.
○ Insurance $81
● Bridget will check with Lisa to confirm that the 2018 sponsor money was allocated correctly.
Stephanie motioned to approve this report. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.
Town Meeting Recap
There were not a lot of questions from residents of Franklin, and the budget passed with an on the floor vote. The Franklin Recreation budget will be built into the Town budget for future years, and will not be a separate article to vote on.
Spring Paint and Sip: Courtney Vining has agreed to teach a spring themed paint and sip on April 13 with an 11”x14” painting. Discussion about location, time and cost followed and will be announced once confirmed. Ashley Flood has offered to do a LuLaRoe fundraiser, which will happen at the paint and sip.
● Due to the small amount of players needed for each session and the increasing interest within Town, groups of people wishing to play pickleball are asked to contact the Town Clerk to book playing time at the Town Hall.
○ The Town Clerk will have a waiver for players to sign.
○ Suggested donation of $2/person will be adversized and can be dropped off when the Town Hall key is returned.
● The Recreation Board members will get trained in how to play pickleball and will offer demonstrations/training for groups who request it.
○ Bridget will reach out to Donna to find a time for the Board member training.
Bridgette shared about the latest NWLL meeting:
● Numbers are good in all towns
● There will be 5-6 boys minors teams in NWLL (Franklin, Highgate and Swanton)
● Girls majors numbers are low in both Swanton (10 girls) and Highgate (8 girls, some who are 7th graders)
● Franklin has only 4 girls signed up for farm league, and there isn’t a clear path on how to proceed.
● The Highgate boys majors player who wants to play in Franklin will be able to.
● Majors and minors coaches are asked to help at evaluations.
● The NWLL coaches meeting will be on April 2 at 6:00 p.m. at the Swanton school.
● Swanton Recreation is hosting a coaches clinic on April 6 at 10 a.m. at the Swanton school, which is open to all coaches in NWLL.
● NWLL will be offering First Aid training to coaches again this year.
● The insurance certificate that will allow teams to begin practicing has not yet been received.
Franklin Little League discussions:
● Kindergarteners could be pulled up to make a full girls farm team in Franklin and Stephanie is willing to coach. This will allow Franklin to field a girls farm team. Paula volunteered to help too.
● There are three kindergarten boys who have signed up, they could be pulled up the boys farm team.
● There are two fourth grade boys who are league age 11. If they play on the minors team, this will make them ineligible to play all-stars. Bridgette will reach out to the parents for feedback, and evaluations can be used to gage readiness.
○ Coaches will be notified this week and will receive rosters at coaches meeting on April 2.
○ Franklin will hold a meeting for Franklin coaches and volunteers on April 8 at 6:00 p.m.
○ More help is needed at the tball level. Bridgette will reach out to parents.
● Gym Use for Practices:
○ Available from 3:00 - 4:00 and after 5:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
○ Available after 3:00 on Wednesdays and Thursdays
○ Coaches will be asked to sign up for indoor practice time using the Franklin Rec email address
● Field Use for Practices:
○ Team up will be used again
○ Dawn will be contact person using the Franklin Rec email address
● Evaluations are for all players league age 8 and above. Bridgette will send a reminder to parents.
○ Pitching clinics will be at the request of coaches
○ Highgate Arena Clinic
■ Girls 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.; Boys 12:00 - 2:00 p.m.
■ For majors and minors players
■ Majors and minors coaches are asked to help plan and run the clinic
○ Inventory is needed
○ Bridgette has emailed Kevin Smiths about potential equipment needs.
The sponsorship levels were updated. Stephanie will update the policy to reflect the new levels. Bridget will update the sponsorship letter and send it out. Replies will be due on April 5. Team sponsors will be selected at the April 8 Recreation Meeting.
Postponed until next time.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:13 p.m..
The next meeting will be on Monday, March 25 at 7:00 p.m. at the Franklin Central School.