Franklin Recreation Meeting June 10, 2019

Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Dawn Fournier, Paula Tremblay, Polly Gadbois


Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:08 p.m..


Public Comment



Library Updates

        The Haston Library will no longer be hosting summer crossroads activities due to the change in library staffing.

        Josh Worman has been hired as the new librarian.

        There will be a summer reading program, it is currently in the planning stages.

        The Backpack Theater will be performing on June 22. 

        There will be a pollinator program that includes a t-shirt craft on July 9.

        A “take one, give one” library has been built and will hopefully be located near the town beach. 


Approve Meeting Minutes

Bridgette motioned to approve the meeting minutes from May 6. Bridget seconded. The motion passed.


Treasurer’s Report

        Board member stipends were handed out. 

        The following bills have been received:

        Drummac: $95 (port-o-let)

        Franklin School: $38.54 (copies)

        Grizzly: $720 (6 banners)

        Hartigan: $190 (port-o-let)

        McCuins: $41.94 (lime)  and $5 (kitty litter)

        Little League Charter and Insurance: $357.41. **The charter amount was significantly lower this year because leagues with All Star teams that are successful receive a credit for the following year and two teams won state championships last year. 

Stephanie motioned to approve this report. Bridget seconded. The motion passed. 



        To date, a total of two registrations have been received.

        Discussion about participation levels needed to make event successful. A cutoff of ten teams registered by June 14 was set in order for this event to be held.

        Discussion about advertising that has been done and what else can be done to increase participation numbers. 

        Discussion about what supplies are needed for this event. 

        Bridget motioned to spend up to $80 on a 10’x10’ canopy tent for this and future events. Bridgette seconded. The motion passed. 

        Polly mapped out the kayak/canoe route. It will be approximately 2.03 miles long. 



        MyRec sent a first draft of the banner. Bridget requested a second version. 

        A merchant account has been set up. 



Bridget will mail a sponsorship letter to businesses that have sponsored Franklin Rec in the past that have not responded this year.



Franklin night at the Lake Monsters will be on July 20. Packets are still being accepted. Bridgette will email coaches and ask them to remind their teams to send in any sales. A reminder will also be put in the school newsletter. 



No news from RiseVT about the minigrant application. Dawn will look into this further. 


Playground Update

The rec playground will be installed at the same time as the school playground. The rec playground will consist of a slide and swingset.



Pickleball: Pickleball play will be sporadic during the summer. The board will reach out to players in the fall to discuss training and plans going forward, including possible sign up via the new website. 

Little League:

        Paula stated that umpiring games was difficult when playing teams outside of NWLL. Discussion on how best to promote conversations with coaches from both teams and umpires at the beginning of each game in hopes of helping with this issue. 

        Bridgette will email coaches with end of season instructions about equipment.

        All Star teams have been chosen. There will be three baseball teams and two softball teams.

        NWLL Elections are coming up.

        Randy Bombard helped with the girls minors team this year and is interested in forming an ASA tournament team.



Summer Programming


        Randy would like to hold private lessons at the field. The town is ok with this. Franklin Rec will help with advertising. 

        Jon Godin would like to hold a basketball clinic. Discussion about when this should be held. Stacy will follow up.

        Bridget will look into options for a summer or pre-season soccer opportunity. 

Community Dinner:  The NOFA pizza oven has been booked for August 31st.

Paint and Sip:  A Summer Solstice Paint and Sip is planned for June 21 at 6:30 p.m. in the Felco room. The cost will be $25 per painter. Participants will be asked to bring their own drink and a snack to share. Stacy will create a Facebook event and email the rec email list. Participation will be capped at 40 people for this event.  

Running Club:  To begin on June 17 and continue every Monday through August 12 at 6 p.m..

Softball: Co-ed softball will be held on Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m., beginning July 10 and continuing until August 7.


Field Updates/Maintenance

Baseball/Softball Field: The board would like to convert the softball field to an all dirt infield.  The baseball field has a large lip between the infield and the basepath which is dangerous and needs to be fixed over the summer. Both fields need clay. The Davis’ found a place that has clay, Dawn will reach out for contact information. Bridgette will ask Linda from Swanton Rec if she can come give us some advice about how to improve our fields. 

Dugouts:  were painted in the spring. No more work will be done until the fields have been updated. 

Subdivision Status: Need update from Town. 

Garbage Removal: Bridget asked the town for help and advise on how to best remove the garbage from the fields. 


Rec Director Review

Discussion about how the position should and will change with the new website. Further discussion and an update of the job description and contract will occur at the next meeting. 


Future Meeting Dates

The following summer meeting dates were selected:

        June 17 - 7:00 p.m.

        June 24 - 7:15 p.m.

        July 15 -  7:15 p.m.

        August 5 -  7:15 p.m.

        August 26 - 7:00 p.m.


The meeting was adjourned at 10:49 p.m..

The next meeting will  be on Monday, June 17 at 7:00 p.m. at the Franklin School.