Franklin Recreation Meeting April 22, 2019
Participants: Bridget Thompson, Bridgette Favreau, Stacy Godin, Stephanie Ho, Paula Tremblay, Dawn Fournier, Annie Wagner, Polly Gadbois
Bridget called the meeting to order at 7:12 p.m..
● The library has many events going on during April vacation week. Everything is posed on their website.
● The summer reading theme is A Universe of Stories.
● The library will be hosting two weeks of summer crossroads activities.†
● The campers have asked for a give one, take one library near the lake.
● Annie suggested that a book drop at school would make returning books easier for some families.†
Approve Meeting Minutes
Bridgette motioned to approve the meeting minutes from April 8. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.
● The new field liner has arrived. The total cost was $368.40
● Jen Dewing donated $500.00 toward a new playground at the ball fields
● Jolley and Franklin Telephone have both returned sponsorship forms
● Bridget talked with Drummac. A port-o-let will be delivered this week and a second one for the month of May. The rate will be $95 per month
Stephanie motioned to approve this report. Stacy seconded. The motion passed.†
Community Dinner: †August 24th in the late afternoon/evening. Details were discussed, including music, the meal, funding and advertising. The price of the pizza oven from NOFA has increased significantly from previous years.
Summer Camps: CampDiscover is likely happening under the crossroads grant this year.
The summer cooking camp for younger children does not have the funding theyíve had in years past and may not happen. Discussion about alternative options to keep this program.
Joint Event with LCCA: Franklin Rec would like to collaborate with the LCCA to host a Great Race type Triathlon (run/bike/kayak or canoe) on the morning of June 29. Polly will talk to LCCA about this proposal. Discussion about more details ensued and will be discussed further at the next meeting.
The annual Pirate takeover on North Beach would like some kids to participate - perhaps scouts? The next LCCA meeting is on May 25.†
Vendor Fair: A craft/vendor fair in November will be discussed and planned near the end of summer.†
Paint and Sip: †Franklin Rec is still planning a Spring themed painting and possible LuLaRoe fundraiser. Date and location TBD.
Running Club: †To begin on June 17 and continue every Monday through August 12 at 6:00 p.m..
Softball: Tentatively scheduled for Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. from July 9 through August 13
Pickleball (moved up in the schedule)
Franklin Rec has scheduled a training on Thursday at 6:00 p.m.. Groups wishing to play pickleball can schedule time to play through the Town Clerk and training through Franklin Recreation. Individuals wishing to learn pickleball can reach out to Polly Gadbois and play with the Friday night group at 6:00 p.m.. Polly also shared about the pricing structure in Enosburg where residents can play for free and non residents pay $2 per session.†††
● The web address will be franklinrec.org
● Bridget has been corresponding with MyRec as the point person
● A needs assessment was completed
● Franklin Rec needs to supply pictures for the website banner†
● New Sponsor requests received include:
○ Jolley Associates - Gold level
○ Franklin Telephone - Gold level - banner needed
● Laura Sherman is unable to sponsor a team, but may be able to have a banner and would like to do a fundraiser for Franklin Rec.†
● Bridget will mail a sponsorship letter to businesses that have sponsored Franklin Rec in the past that have not responded this year.
● CWC Drum Circles - May 10 -† 6:00-8:00 p.m.. Bridget will make a flyer.†
● Lake Monsters - Game July 20. One form per family was sent home through school.† A message will be in the newsletter and they will be due June 7.†
● Stacy submitted the RiseVT Amplify grant.
Bridgette made a motion to spend up to $8000 on playground equipment. Stacy seconded. The motion passed. Bridget will email to get a quote about what can be purchased and installed for this amount.† Franklin Rec is hoping the playground can be installed at the same time as the school playground.
Pickleball: see above
● Picture date information will be confirmed soon.†
● There is still some equipment that hasnít arrived.
● There is still a bee problem in the third base/left field area of the softball field.†††
● One tball base is needed.†
● Field work will happen on Tuesday and Thursday during vacation.
● Discussion about clay for the baseball field. Franklin Rec will look into where to get it and when to put on the field.
● Annie knows someone who has been a pitching coach for many years and would like to help with Little League. She will give him a background check form to fill out.
● Shirts have been ordered and will be ready for games to begin next week.
The following dates were selected for meetings in May and June:
● May 6
● June 10
● June 24
The meeting was adjourned at 11:18 p.m..
The next meeting will† be on Monday, May 6 at 7:15 p.m. at the Franklin School.